Monday, November 22, 2010

Hey fam!

How is everybody? I'm doing well. So this week has been pretty up and down. It's been up because the area is exploding. The first three days of the week we found ten new investigators, had reached about two thirds worth of our number goals already, and set alot of baptismal dates. This place is really super prepared for the gospel. Then friday we found a new family of five as well. Everything was looking perfect. Sadly, we decided not to give it our all for the entire week, and I felt horrible by the end. There's nothing worse than thinking about the last week, and wondering if more people could have come unto Christ if I would've been more diligent. We ended up missing the standard of excellence goal for the mission by one person not making it to sacrament meeting, and one baptismal date too short. That would have been my first time getting the entire standard of excellence for the mission, and usually there are only about four or five companionships in the mission who reach it per week. The president came on thursday for interviews in the zone with the assistants. He gave us good advice that will help me alot. I don't want to sound like numbers are the only thing that matter by the way, they're mostly just a way to keep ourselves on track, and a way to show the Lord how much we need His help. We know we can't do anything alone, so we give it our very best to hit our goals, so the Lord can take care of the rest, and miracles can happen in the lives of His children here in Uruapan. Anyway, I was thinking about what things I need to change for this upcoming week to do better, and I came to the conclusion that sacrifice is what I'm missing. If I want to see sacred experiences happening here for these people, I need to make more sacrifice. I don't think it's ironic that sacrifice and sacred have similar word roots. I've been thinking alot about how the Savior said "he that findeth is life shall lose it, but he that loseth his life, for my sake, shall find it." (or something similar) Anyway, I was thinking about that, and I realized that if I'm worried about what's going to happen after the mission, or if I'm always thinking about memories from life before, or if I'm seeking more for my own gain than to complete the Lord's will, I'm searching for and more or less finding my own life, and in that process I'm losing it! I need to completely dedicate every single thing I do to Him, losing my life, then I shall find it. Maybe that's a simple principle I should have been able to figure out earlier on, but I'm just thankful the Lord is opening my eyes a little more. It's crazy how the more I learn about the simple basic principles of the gospel, the more I realize how much there is to improve on! sheesh. haha.

Me and my comp are doing well. We have similar mind sets and priorities, and it's been pretty cool working together. A little more about him, I found out his favorite food is rice. I thought he was crazy when he told me that, but then he made me some peruvian rice, and it's sooo good. He's going to teach me how to make it. He knows absolutely nothing in english, he's actually trying to read my e mail right now but he only knows the word yes, so he's not getting very far. We're working on his english and my spanish in the mornings for our language study hour. He's from an area in peru where many drugs are legalized, and he actually had a job before the mission, guarding a cocaine truck with a machine gun while they delivered to various distributers. Utah is a pretty nice place.

My birthday went well. We had a decent work day. A member family bought me a cake, and they all sang happy birthday to me at a family night. Thanksgiving actually isn't celebrated in Mexico, so that stinks. But I found out everybody makes turkey for Christmas, so I can pretend that Christmas and Thanksgiving are smashed together into one holiday.

Thanks for everything fam!

Shash- That's sweet about Rhino's Christmas tree! What did you get him for Christmas? That's good you're doing a little better on cleaning your room now. It always feels better to be in a clean house instead of a dirty one, and the Spirit can dwell there stronger. :) Did you take pictures of the snowmen you built? It sounds like that was super fun making the snowmen. Love ya shash! have a great week!

Dad- That experience from Sacrament is insane! I can't believe that actually happened! I've never seen that happen before. There were a couple classes in the MTC that I was in when a missionary made a comment like that, those doubts were usually answered in a word or two or ignored. District Leader is going alright. I'm now in the second district that I'm in charge of, and they've both had the companionships that are struggling the most out of the zone. It makes it a little stressful, but I feel like it's an great opportunity to learn. I'd appreciate any advice on how to get them more excited about the work. Anyway, thanks for always being such a great example dad. Love ya! have a great week!

Den- Sounds like you had a super fun week man! you're just livin the life right now. haha. Way to take on the challenge of a two verses one airsoft fight too. Love ya denny o! have a great week!

Mom- So the package business... I never got Bam's halloween package, and I haven't recieved any birthday packages yet. I did recieve a birthday card from the Hardings with a note from each of them though which was great! I'll see when the Zone Leaders will finally be heading to the city and make sure they check the mail room in the offices really well. That's too bad to hear about Mr. Keddington, he was the man. Thanks for letting me know about him. Thanks for getting that jacket sent, it just so happens that's the style down here (the professional missionary type style of course). Let me know when you get my letter! I love you mom! Have a great week!

Dig- That's sweet about your new airsoft guns. That pistol with the silencer sounds sweet. I did that same car project at kennedy! Love ya dig! have a great week!

Nay- That stinks that you got the whiniest fake baby in the world for your project haha. At least now you'll be extra prepared for a fam in the future. That stinks about your leg injury too. Keep me updated on that one. I hope everything works out ok. Let me know about the results from all your college apps too! Love ya Nay! Have a great week!

Love you all fam!
Elder Aguilar

No comments:

Post a Comment