Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hey Fam!!!


Sorry I got the e mail out so late this time. Our P day got canceled due to a zone conference, and then we had some appointments to get to in the evening, so I'm just barely able to take some time to write. It kind of stinks that we didn't have time for P day I guess, but I'm actually relieved. The only things I like about P days are getting groceries and writing the fam. Right now I'm good on groceries, and I'm writing the fam. So all is well! Anything else that can happen on P day is usually just a distraction and makes me afraid of going back to life in the world. haha.


Anyway. This week has gone well. I'm a little bummed out that we haven't been able to get a hold of Samuel Aguilar or Eliseo. That's just the way it is sometimes I guess. Maybe it's not quite their time. Anyway. This week we did find some new awesome investigators that look like they'll do pretty well. One is named Fernando. He's a carpenter (sweet), so he's already developing Christlike Attributes. haha. He's super awesome though. He invited us to come teach himi and told us that we could talk over a coffee... After a quick explanation of some of the regulations we live by, we all decided that hot chocolate would be a better choice. Anyway, we left him a Book of Mormon on the contact, and when we stopped by for the first appointment, he had already read the first sixteen chapters. Impressive. He had a few questions about the Book of Mormon, but mostly about the Bible. He brought his Bible out and said, "I want to know if you guys can explain this verse to me" He then opened to Genesis 3:22 which reads: "And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:" (then it continues in the next verse.) He read the verse and said, "Ok, why does he say 'as one of us'? Who is he referring to other than himself?" Big question. We gave him a brief simple answer, and told him we were going to find some good parts in the Book of Mormon and the Bible to bring for him next time to read and pray about. He looks pretty excited about the whole thing.


Another couple of investigators we found were Erica and her mother Gloria. Erica has a few small children, I'm pretty sure she's a single mom, and she spends alot of her time at Gloria her mother's house. We went to the first appointment with them the other day, and during the conversation, Gloria just spoke up on her own, and asked if it was allowed for them to come to our church services. We usually have to tell parables, read scriptures, and leave commitments for the people to gain a personal testimony about the Sabbath, so it was pretty awesome that Gloria decided to invite herself. Then Erica started to talk about how school is going to start this next week and there are alot of things to do to get her kids ready and keep taking care of them and stuff, and how her schedule just doesn't allow her to make time for things like going to church. Gloria spoke up and said "I'm not trying to judge my daughter or anything, but I think that if you were inviting us to a party, we'd be able to make a space, and maybe even get there early. I think it's a question of priority." After a little bit more discussion it was decided that both of them would be coming to church on Sunday.


This week I've been studying alot about Personal Revelation. Joseph Smith said that Personal Revelation is necessary for us to be able to obtain salvation, and that it's the same principle that governs the Celestial Kingdom (I'm paraphrasing). He also said that by looking into a vision of the Celestial Kingdom for five minutes a man can learn more than if he read every word ever written on the subject (also paraphrasing,) so studying and relying on the arm of the flesh is great, but Personal Revelation is a HUGE step up. That's probably part of why the Savior tells Peter that he's blessed for his testimony that Jesus was the Son of God, because it wasn't revealed to him by flesh and blood but by the power of God. Our Heavenly Father is always a greater source of guidance than other men. Bruce R. Mckonkie said that the formula to recieving Personal Revelation, even ministering of angels and prophecy and visions etc. as far as any revelations recieved by the Prophets, is simply 1. Study the Scriptures 2. Live the Commandments 3. Pray with Faith. I think it's interesting that he mentions that the Scriptures help us learn, but most importantly they put us into the right mindset to recieve revelation. That's why the process is search, then ponder and pray. If we just read, then say "well I learned something new today," shut the Scriptures, and continue with our day, we only got through the first part of the process. Anyway, I'm just thankful for the Gospel. Heavenly Father has blessed us to live in a dispensation when every resource we could ever need is right at our fingertips, and the veil is thin. It's all up to the way we live, and whether we decide to take action and seek to come closer to Him or not.


Den- That's so crazy that your in Junior High man! When you get in there with wrestling and stuff you gotta say hi to McComber for me. He's gotta be so old by now! haha. He's a great guy. Track's going to be sweet to. You'll have to let me know what events you choose to participate in. Love ya! Have a great week!


Dig- That's sweet that your bike is finally back in action. The bikes that we're getting for the missionaries here break all the time! Luckily there's a way good waranty on them so we just get a new one for free when one breaks. You better hope you get called to a bike mission, haha. I miss things like bikes more than I thought I would. Hey now that Den is at Kennedy with you, make sure you keep being a good big brother to him. Make sure everyone knows that the Aguilar brothers are cool, and that they love each other. haha. Awesome. Love ya! Have a great week!


Shash- Sounds like dance is really coming along! I'll probably barely miss your concert before I get home. Oh well. There'll be more concerts in the future I guess. I'll make sure I'll be to those ones! Soccer starting up again too? That's cool that your friends are in your school class. Hey you never know, you might get in there and be Mrs. Ford's favorite and end up remembering her as your favorite teacher! haha. Love ya! Have a great week!


Dad- That's going to be weird to move Nay up to college. Crazy. I'm pretty bummed about not finding Samuel. I'm going to be praying for him to have a change in work schedules. When someone can't come to church they just can't really progress at all. About the Chile Verde, that's not really a dish here in Guadalajara. I've asked alot of people about it, and from what I gather, it's a northern Mexico food. It'll be easier to explain food stuff in person but there's a ton of stuff here that you'd love. Love ya! Have a great week!


Nay- That's sweet about the job working out. Good lesson on faith by Bam. She's awesome. So you'll have to keep me posted on the new living situation. Let me know if you have any difficulties living with strangers or anything I might be able to offer you some tips. I think you'll do fine though. Just make sure you surround yourself with good friends like you always have. Crazy! College! Hay Caramba. haha. Love ya! Have a great week!


Mom- Thanks for filling me in on the S n S case (wink wink). It did make me a little nervous when I read that at first, but I guess if there's already been discussions between you and the other parental advisers.... it's not as bad........ Anyway. I'm getting your dear elders now like two days after you write them which is sweet. I love getting them. It makes me feel closer to you. I attached some pictures. They're of us with a calendar we made for a program we started in the ward to get to know the members better and gain their confidence so that they'll be more comfortable working with us and giving us referrals. The first family we visited is the one in the pictures I'm sending now. The dad is a circus performer! He specializes in balance acts, and he works at a circus school training other circus people. Before we left he headed out side with his unicycle, and had his daughter stand, yes stand on his shoulders while he rode the unicycle! It was insane! We visited another family that sells ice cream for a living, and we helped them pack waffle cones and played with their pit bulls for a while (that traumatized me a little. We were just sitting there and they let their pit bulls in and they all wanted to play fight. Great.) But we're going to take a picture with them later, because they were all dirty from making the cones, and they didn't want to be dirty for their picture. But anyway, it seems like it should work out well, becaus we're just scheduling the appointments with members for times when we don't have appointments with investigators usually, so it's not taking away from our work really at all, and it'll be great to start working with their non member friends and family. Making links in the wards always help people stay active. Oh also there's a pic from the package that Monique sent to me with letters from her, Timmerie, and various of my awesome cousins, so could you let them know I got it and I loved it? The cookies are delish, the socks are sweet! they're the nicest socks I've ever owned! And the other office missionaries were thankful that I have more candy to share. haha. That's funny what Shay and Kate said about the house smell. I'll finally know what everyone else smells at our house when I get home! haha. Of course I'll get home with clothes and gel and everything that smells way different than our fam's laundry detergent etc. So I'll probably stick out for a few days. Anyway. Thanks for everything Mom! Love ya! Have a great week!


Love you all!
Elder Aguilar
Elder Villanueva & Elder Aguilar working hard.

A little family they are teaching.  The dog looks like Persie. :)

Aunt Monique's Package!

No comments:

Post a Comment