Thursday, November 17, 2011

Happy Birthday Elder Aguilar!!!

Hey Fam! How is everyone? I'm tired. haha. Sorry if this e mail doesn't make alot of sense but I'm super worn out! This morning we went to drop a missionary off at the airport. I was already kind of in trouble (I'll explain that in a second) so I went to bed super nervous about whether or not I'd wake up when my alarm rang to get the missionary to the airport on time. From being so nervous I think, I woke up by accident at midnight, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00 in the morning to check the time and make sure it wasn't time to get up yet. Then we got ready at 5 am and took off to the airport. So I'm worn out.

Anyway, This week has been interesting. I got bit by a dog. We were talking to an investigator in his driveway, and I was leaning against his truck. When we went to walk away I felt something grab the back of my leg, then I heard a little tear. It was his dog that had been hiding under the truck. It bit my leg (not very hard) and tore my pant leg. Sweet.

This week we had two extra missionaries in the offices with us. One was Elder Cedillo, and the other Elder Hernandez. It was sweet to have them around to help with doing splits and stuff. It was also a pretty unique experience, because they were both here waiting for news from the doctor on their health situations. They both ended up being released this week for that reason. Now, part of my responsibility is buying the plane tickets for outgoing missionaries, and notifying their families of their flight numbers and arrival times etc. When a missionary goes home early, however, the things are all done a little more suddenly and rushed, and sometimes either the President or the Assistants call the missionary's family to let them know what's going on. Anyway, so Elder Hernandez went home yesterday morning, his flight arrived in Mexico City at like 11:30. Later on in the day President called me to ask me if I had notified Elder Cedillo's family about his flight (which was today). When he asked I came to the horrible realization that I had never called anyone to let them know about Elder Hernandez's arrival. I looked at the time. It was about 6 pm. Oops. Big mistake. So the poor assistants went speeding back to the offices (Elder Olson and I were out proselyting) and called Elder Hernandez's Stake President and Bishop and Family. They got to hear a lot of complaints. So last night I called to apologize, and explain to them all that it wasn't anyone's fault but mine. Crazy day. But anyway, what's done is done. No use crying over spilled milk. The good news is, I doubt I'll forget to call anyone's family again about flight plans.

Carlos Contreras is doing ok. We gave him a calendar, because he always says that he feels like his baptism is coming too soon. So right now he's reviewing the calendar to choose his own baptismal date. He recently found out about some heart problems he's been having. I guess his health isn't very good right now. We'll keep praying that he'll get an answer about his baptism, and that he'll be ok health wise.

The Salas Rios family is doing great. This week we found out that the Mom (the one that we talked to on the street who told us she was a member) is not a member. She was baptized, but never confirmed. So now she has a baptismal date with her kids. The oldest Salas Rios child, Joselin, is suddenly all rebelious. She went and got a lip piercing, and keeps saying that she doesn't need to be baptized. I think that seeing her family's baptisms will help her alot though.

I heard a sweet quote this week from James E. Faust, in a talk titled "Lost Horizons." In that talk he talks about how people often loose sight of our ultimate goal by focusing so much on something else. The distractions often times aren't necessarily bad things, but when the ultimate goal is changed from eternal progression to something else, we end up with lost horizons. He used the example of college graduation for example. There are some people that see their college graduation as the peak in their career's progression, and then often times don't end up accomplishing much further on. He mentioned that while the accomplishment is a great thing, it shouldn't be viewed as a final destination but more like a watering hole in the middle of the desert. You come get a drink to gain strength, then you keep pressing forward toward your true destination. If you stick around at the water hole forever, you might not ever make it to your true goal. I think that can happen on large and small scales in life. Anyway, the quote says: "Excelence comes in to being, riding on the confidence one has in one's self." James E. Faust. That's pretty cool. Self confidence is really important. I think it's also important that self confidence doesn't have to dissapear for us to be humble. A humble servant of God can be confident in himself, knowing without a doubt that everything comes from and depends upon the Lord. Self confidence is something I'd like to learn more about.

Oh by the way. Today for my birthday I baked my German Chocolate cake, and the Assistants and Elder Olson sung me happy birthday and we all used those little party horn things. It was pretty cool The cake turned out nice.

Mom- Sounds like that Jordan North 1st ward reunion at the wedding was pretty fun! haha. What an awesom bunch of people. I loved my birthday present. It's sweet. I'll have that for a very long time. The companionship is doing well. Elder Olson goes home in two and a half weeks. I don't have a replacement secretary to train any time soon, so that means I'm going to be finishing my mission here in the offices. Out of the six off us that are here, five will finish our missions here within the next two months. I attached a picture of Elder Olson and I with Elder Cedillo and Elder Hernandez during their last moments here. Elder Hernandez is on the left by me, and Elder Cedillo on the right. I also attached a picture of me with my cake. It's kind of a lot of candles. Thanks for everything mom. Love ya! Have a great week!

Dad- Sounds like the anniversary was good. Classic banner. Haha. Happy late anniversary to you and mom. That's some sweet insight on James and the things he wrote. I'm not sure if anyone realizes the amount of difference a person can make. Like you said, that one verse changed the world more than any other. That's awesome. Thanks for everything dad. Love ya! Have a great week!

Shash- Awesome Spanish singing skills in my letter shash! Thanks! So you made me the best Christmas present huh? I can't wait to see what it is! Sounds like that play you saw was pretty awesome. Really long though. Three hours. It's a good thing it was a good play. Imagine if it would have been a three hour boring play! That'd be tough. Love ya! Have a great week!

Dig- So.. How tall are you? You're as tall as the mad hatter in that picture. That's pretty sweet that you know how to do 180s on your bike. I've never been able to do tricks like that. I guess it's because I've never practiced like you have to learn them. So it's looking to be an easy wrestling season huh? That's cool. You'll have to let me know how it goes at the wealthy neighbor's cabin. Love ya! Have a great week!

Den- Hey Den. How are ya? Sweet spanish speaking skills by the way. Where'd you learn so much espaƱol? Sounds like that football game in the gym was pretty intense. Way to go man. Is Eric Kinikini your age? Anyway. Love ya! Have a great week!

Nay- Sweet poem. That's good poetry skills. I especially like the part about 21 empanadas. I love empanadas. haha. I also liked Guadalajara rhyming with mom and dad buying me a ferrar..a haha. I guess there aren't many things that rhyme with Guadalajara. Love ya! Have a great week!

Bam- I got both of the packages. Thanks a bunch bam. Everyone I know wishes they were your grandson so they could get such great packages. Haha. I'm way excited to make the snickerdoodles. Let me know how it goes at TOFW. Love ya! Have a great week!

Love you all!
Elder Aguilar
21 Years Old!

No comments:

Post a Comment