Friday, September 23, 2011

Hey Fam!

How is everyone? I'm doing well. This week has been pretty crazy. Last Thursday/Friday was the independance day of Mexico. I guess there are a bunch of sweet traditional things in the culture to celebrate, but they all go on in the city center, and after we're back safe at the house haha. But anyway, a new Elder got here from the U.S., and I had to take all his papers and stuff to the federal building downtown. I decided to do it on Friday morning.... The Federal Palace is right in the middle of the city center, and the entire area was shut down for a parade. I should have known, the one day out of the year when for sure the Federal Palace isn't open, was friday. Anyway, so we decided to head over to cosco from there, because we had to take some bikes back that had broken. While Elder Olson was looking for cosco on the GPS, I decided to pull over for a second since I didn't know where we were headed. While I was pulling over (in the gigantic mission van), I nailed the front left fender of a minivan that was parked on the side of the road. The family came running out all stressed out. We called the insurance companies, and they got there and started sorting everything out. I gave the insurance guy the policy number for the van, he looked it up, and let us know that the van wasn't insured.... So we started to make some calls to figure out what the problem was, when we suddenly heard a loud screetching noise. A bus full of fire fighters were going past (now done with the parade,) and they hit the mount of the side view mirror (it was folded into the window, so only the mount of the mirror was sticking out.) It tore a giant line down the side of the bus, but it didn't do anything to the van. We told them that they could just leave, so they took off. Anyway, it was a great day!

Last friday, we went to Guillermo's house for the baptismal interviews. We found out that his sister, Lupe, decided she didn't want to get baptized. She said it was because she wanted to be able to date before she's sixteen, but I think there's a different reason. His little brother Isaac was kidnapped by his aunt, and she refused to let him come back to his house to have his interview. He'll be living with his aunt now. Guillermo, had slept over at his cousin's house, so he wasn't home. AAHHH! So we had to postpone the interview for Saturday morning. We got there, and he still wasn't home. So we kept calling his step mom throughout the day (she's a member) to ask how things were going. Finally he got back in the night, the assistants came to do his interview, and he was baptized Sunday morning. It was a bummer that his brother and sister couldn't be baptized, but maybe it wasn't their time. Guillermo is looking awesome though. He'll be a good example for his family.

The BriceƱo family is doing great! They all came to church on Sunday. Their whole family came. Members and non members. That's like fifteen people! It was awesome. Their testimonies are getting stronger every day, and they're starting to get more and more excited about scripture study and stuff. So that's great.

This week we had a leadership conference, and I learned alot. We focused on the importance of returning to the basics. President said he wants us to focus on the Doctrine of Christ, following the Spirit, and helping investigators recieve revelation through prayer, the Book of Mormon, and going to church. They're all things we've heard a bunch of times, but it was way helpful to just review it all and refocus on why we're here. During the conference I kept wondering to myself why it is that when we're given such simple commandments from the Lord, we make some excuse or strange reason to not do what He asks. It's all so clear and simple, easy really, but then we just don't do it. I started to ponder about the way it mentions fearing God in the scriptures. It obviously doesn't mean we need to be scared of Heavenly Father, but I thought about how when we don't do what he says, it's often because of our fear of man. God tells us as missionaries to talk with EVERYONE. Sometimes we look at a person and decide not to talk to them for whatever reason, but it all comes down to the fact that we have more fear of that person, or what they'll say or think, than we have of the consequences of not following the loving guidance of our Heavenly Father. Satan's arguments are usually full of "just once won't hurt... everyone else does it... what could happen?" Those are things that keep our focus on what the world thinks and does, and how we appear or fit in. We often forget to worry about how we appear to the Lord! And that's really all that matters. When we're confronted with a situation in which it seems difficult to follow what He wants, we should wake up and remember that what He wants is all that matters! Nothing else. Anyway. I don't know if that makes any sense, it's just something that I've been thinking about lately. I think it applies more to missionaries than it would for not missionaries...

Anyway, that's what's been going on this week.

Dig- You have mrs. Cropper? Did you tell me that already? I had her for two years man! Give it your all in that class. I almost never had to do homework in my high school math classes, because of how much I had learned in Mrs. Croppers class, it was sweet. haha. But you should do your homework in high school... Anyway. Love ya! Have a great week!

Den- Gooooooooooooooooooooal!!!!!!! That's how they say it here in Mexico. haha. Sounds like that goal was killer! Sweet job denny o. Bam tells me you're starting to really tear it up on the piano too. Keep it up, it's an awesome skill to have. Love ya! Have a great week!

Mom- I attached some pictures of me trying to get over my fear of big dogs at a member's house. We have a picture of Elder Olson and me with the sister and her son as well. We're teaching the son's friend right now, she's not progressing very well which kind of stinks, but it's given us some time to get to know that family a little better. They're a part member family, and the mom's the only active one, so there's lots of work to do there. I also attached the pictures of Guillermo's baptism. That's him in white of course, his step mom, his two step brothers (all members,) and Lupe, the one who decided not to get baptized. The younger of the two step brothers (with the grey shirt) reminds me a ton of Denny. I also attached a picture of some of the drawings that Guillermo's done while he's been learning about the gospel. About the Christmas package with stuff for Elder Olson, he ends his mission on the fifth of December, so he won't be here anymore. haha. But he did get a birthday package from his family, and the Jespersons gave him cake and sung him happy birthday. So Braden is marrying Aubrey!!! Holy cow. I never would have seen that coming. That's insane. That's good though, you'll have to congradulate him for me if you get the chance. Anyway, thanks for everything mom. I really enjoyed your comments about that talk from the RM that went innactive then came back to the church. That was a good analogy with the gas explosion emergency thing. Anyway, Love ya! Have a great week!

Dad- So the accident thing all turned out ok more or less. The only problem is that the van is really new, so it's taking them a little while to get the papers in order for the insurance co. Once they get it all figured out, they'll be able to give me all the money back, and I can see if I can deposit it back onto the card or something so you can transfer it back out. That's cool that you saw Brother Hancuff. He's a great guy. That's cool you got to talk to McComber too, that'd be super awesome if I was able to catch the last matches of the year. Anyway, thanks for everything Dad. Love ya! Have a great week!

Shash- Sounds like your solo went great Sloosh! Awesome job. Maybe you could give me some singing lessons when I get home. That'd be sweet! haha. Love ya! Have a great week!

Nay- Studying tips.. hmm. I recommend sleeping enough, and not sleeping in. Just getting to bed early enough to be able to sleep enough, then get up early. haha. Also reading out loud helps me alot. And if you have to memorize anything, they say you can remember it better if you do excercise while you're memorizing. Putting things into songs helps as well of course. Dad probably has some more sweet ideas for ya. I'll be expecting your dear elder! Love ya! Have a great week!

Love you all!
Elder Aguilar




No comments:

Post a Comment