Monday, April 12, 2010

Month 3

Hey family,
This week has been pretty good. Yesterday we had three confirmations in sacrament meeting (Carmen Reuben and Maria). It was pretty awesome to see the new members and the incredible changes in their lives. I dont remember how much I said about their situation last week, but Reuben had been avoiding us and we heard that he decided he couldnt give up his drinking and decided he didnt want to learn more about the church. However the rumor wasnt completely true, as rumors usually arent. On tuesday we went to talk to Carmen and Maria and share some scriptures. Reuben answered the door and greeted us very warmly. We began to talk with him, and he let us know that he was sorry for avoiding us, and that he just wanted some time away from influence of us or his friends to really ponder and pray to know what he needed to do at this point in his life. I dont know what kind of experience he had but he shared with us a very strong testimony of the church and the Saviors gospel, and let us know he wanted to be baptized. Carmen, who had been quietly observing (which is rare for him since he really loves to talk alot), suddenly just said "tommorrow, baptize him tomorrow." Reuben laughed a little bit and just said that would be ok with him. His baptism was a very neat experience, and all three of them are coming to do baptisms at the temple with us this wednesday which is pretty awesome.
So I keep forgetting to tell you all, that the chariot bike things like Nacho Libre has are everywhere here. Ive only seen one with a motor like Nachos, but its pretty sweet that there are so many of them. One of the member families here actually love that movie, we always have to divert the conversation back into references or family night when we are talking to the son that is our age because I dont think he realizes we avoid all the media as missionaries. They are an awesome family though. Thats one of the greatest things about our area is the strength of the members. We have a ton of support and a ton of food always. But anyway, those chariots are everywhere along with dirt bikes and four wheelers which are legal on the roads here. Yesterday we saw three guys on a four wheeler that pulled up to a stop light. When the light turned green they did a wheely for a good fifty yards. It was pretty sweet.
Today I had to go to downtown Guadalajara to sign some papers and give some fingerprints for visa stuff. We got to go to that town square with that enormous cathedral that Guadalajara is famous for. It was super big and super cool. We had some delicious tamales while we walked around a little and then headed back to the offices so we could go back to our areas.
We contacted a family recently named the Olivares family. They have seven kids and were very excited to hear about the gospel. Weve gone by their house several times to teach them and serve in any way we can, but the parents are never home. Yesterday we went to see if they happened to be there even though they had already let us know that they always go play soccer as a family on sundays. As we approached the house we noticed a man sitting on the sidewalk looking pretty down, so we went and talked to him. It turned out he is related to the father of the family, and has ten kids of his own. He said he has been having a really hard time lately with money and with his family, and that he has looked everywhere and cant seem to find any real evidence that the Lord loves him and his family. We told him we had a message for him that would answer his prayers. He didnt believe us. But after talking with him for a while my companion convinced him that we really want to help him. He invited us to come teach his family tomorrow. I hope the spirit will be there and let him feel the great amount of love that the Lord has for him and each member of his family.


Dad- Thats pretty sweet about Damirs new clutch. One thing that you would definitely love here is the cars. Everyone is constantly working on their cars, and ever intersection is a starting line for races. Its pretty sweet. Yesterday I saw an old old caddy with a huge white spoiler on the back that looked like it was supposed to be for a formula one car. Thats sweet that you found that shaver charger at the DI. The power here works perfect for everything, its just the same as at home. Speaking of cords, do we have any usb hookups for the camera that I brought? I want to be able to e mail some pictures home but I dont really have any way to get them onto the computer. Also itd be sweet if you could send me some pictures of the fam that I have in my files on the computer. Thanks for the tip on the money thing. I assumed it would take a charge out so thats why I took out a larger amount. Down here, what I took out will last me a while so it shouldnt be too soon that I take some out again, but thanks for watching it for me. By the way our house is actually on Adrian Puga and Cenobio Paniagua, its right on the corner and its bright reddish orange. The church is at 72 between the streets Gomez Farias and 12 de Octubre. Thanks for your testimony dad, and thanks for your prayers, especially the ones for our investigators. By the way a brother in our ward Martin Luna is struggling a bit, as well as our investigators Manuela and Mario. Thanks. I love you dad.
Nay- My first fast and testimony meeting here was alot different too. In the ward were in theres actually a line of about fifteen people as soon as its time for testimonies, and people keep going up to wait on the stand to share their testimonies until its about ten minutes over time and the bishop has to tell everyone to sit down. Its pretty awesome. Thats cool that your party thing went so well. thats funny about the eggs too. That stinks about the ipod and everything though. That is your luck. Haha. By the way did you tell Marqui thanks for that dear elder she sent me so long ago? I feel bad that I havent had time to write her (or anyone) a letter since I got here. I love you nay. Keep having a good time and hanging out with good examples.
Dig- Thanks for the e mail bro. That party at dylans sounds like it was a blast. Thats a pretty sweet game you guys invented. I can just imagine Dylan singing on that guys porch. Thats awesome. Keep writing me Dig, I love showing my comp how smart and funny you are with the lines from your emails. Love you Dig.
Denny- I didnt get your dear elder yet but I cant wait to get it! I love hearing all your stories and stuff its sweet. Love you Denny-o
Shash- I love ya sloosh. I keep thinking about how big your going to be when i get back its crazy! I cant wait to hear from you next week. Love ya Shoo.
Mom- Looking back I definitely agree that our home was always a very special place. And like you said no matter where we are at our family is still just as unified and full of love. I am so thankful to have grown up in such a great environment with such incredible parents and brothers and sisters. Thanks mom. So I do know Elder Sargent. He was actually in my flight group on the way here. He was with us today when we went to do the visa stuff but he didnt say anything about getting robbed. Hes probably just a little embarassed. Haha. The dear elders havent arrived yet, they usually come on tuesdays every week or every other week so I should get them tomorrow. As far as the packages go, they have to come through the mission home. In fact our house doesnt even really have a mail box. We got someone elses cable bill by mistake from the mailman the other day, who had just left it on the cement leading up to our house, so they dont worry to much about consealing things. haha. Once again its safest to have a picture of the Savior or something on there just in case. Thanks Mom. Love ya!
Well thats all for this week. Its been a little slow since it was the second week of vacation for easter here (I guess about everyone in the country gets about two weeks of every year for easter) so we havent had too many appointments and things since nobody has been in town. The streets are usually super crowded but this last week there was literally nobody around because they all headed down town or to the ocean. It was actually a little spooky. Anyway I have a feeling the week coming up is going to be pretty sweet so I cant wait to tell you all about it!

Love,
Elder Dallas Robert Aguilar

No comments:

Post a Comment